From: Janet <Bartjan13@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007051112:12:00
Subject: Re: Everyday mathematics

I am not a teacher.  I am a parent of a 3rd grader.  She was in the
piloit program this year.  It is to my understanding our school is
going to adopt this program.

My daughter loved math her first 3 years of school.  Although she is
getting a B in the class, she hates it.  When she had homework, she
use to always do her math first, now she avoids it.  I as a parent am
very upset that this program gave her such a hate for math.  I
actually signed both my kids up for tutoring over the summer.  They
are going to be taught the traditional math.  My daughter should know
how to multiple and divide, she barely knows how.  There is less than
30 days in the school year.  I feel she lost a whole year of math.
And I am not the only parent that feels this way.  Every parent I
spoke to in our district feels the same way.

Also, we as parents spend anywhere from 30 min. to 2 hours with our
children doing the EM homework.  This math actually puts undue stress
on the family dynamics.  If I hear one more time from an educator, "I
can show you how to do it." I will loose it.  I understand the math.
I find it to be a huge waste of time.  The shortest distance between
to points is a straight line.  Math boxes that is a joke.  Learning
five different ways to figure a problem.  When we are in the real
world who in their right mind is going to make a math box to figure
out the answer.

We as parents did protest it, but because the same people that do the
the tera nova testing are the same people that created the everyday
math, well you do the math.

Now on the positive side, I do understand the concept of what the math
is trying to do.  But if our childern do not have basic math skills,
they will have a hard time with this.  The first month of school they
wanted my child to figuer out the cubic square inch of a box.  Ok, if
a child does not know how to multiple, how can they do that? (I know
how, but you get the point).  I do like the way it teaches my child
money skills.  I do like the world problems.  I feel EM should be
secondary to the traditional math.

I hope that helps you.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question