From: Danielle Fiery <dfiery@comcast.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009110912:17:08
Subject: Re: European long division with decimals

Hi Mike,

I am trying to have my Brazillian student teach me this exact concept
so that I can present it to my new Turkish refugee students...

I understand the Eurpoean method of showing long division of whole
numbers. So far, my Brazillian's student's explaination is "you just
put the decimal where it belongs" as in - they use number sense.

In some cases, I can clearly see HOW I know where to place the
decimal, like in 9.4 / 4 (after the 2, because 4*2 is 8 which is less
than 9).

For 4.2 / .6, I can backtrack the decimal by using my multiplication
rules.

Beyond that, I would like to hear other feedback because it's not
going to do me enough good until I can explain it to someone else.

Danielle

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®