From: Bev Yager <bkyager@msn.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002112308:34:22
Subject: understanding abbreviations

I like this method of finding GCF and LCM.  However, I don't see the
need of using the divisor of 1.  My students are not allowed to use 1
in the prime factorization of a number because it is not prime.  Also
dividing by 1 is not going to change the answer so why do it?

Another memory technique I see with this method is this:  When
multiplying the factors down then across the bottom you are forming
the letter "L".  Therefore that is the Least Common Multiple.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/