From: Bev Yager

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002112308:34:22
Subject: understanding abbreviations

I like this method of finding GCF and LCM. However, I don't see the need of using the divisor of 1. My students are not allowed to use 1 in the prime factorization of a number because it is not prime. Also dividing by 1 is not going to change the answer so why do it? Another memory technique I see with this method is this: When multiplying the factors down then across the bottom you are forming the letter "L". Therefore that is the Least Common Multiple.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/