From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002100202:48:06
Subject: Re: determining the capacity of an upper attactment to a building

On 2002100121:26:28, Catherine wrote: > >Hello: > >I need to figure out what the capacity weight of the up stairs in our >garage. I haven't a clue. Then I need to post the capacity in pounds >on the wall. > >The structure is built 6X6's and 2 X 4 lumber. Lined walls and floor >with 1/4" plywood on the walls and 3/4" plywood on the floor. The >measurements are 35' X 17' . > > >Help, help, help. > >Sincerely, >Catherine > >cathrynrude@aol.com > The load you can carry in the attic depends on the span and the size of the joists. The load can be higher if there is a load bearing wall. I suggest you contact your local building inspector and ask if they have tables that give the loads for 2 x 6's for various spans. I have seen these tables in carpentary books, and in some engineering handbooks.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/