From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002100202:48:06
Subject: Re: determining the capacity of an upper attactment to a building

On 2002100121:26:28, Catherine wrote:

>Hello:
>
>I need to figure out what the capacity weight of the up stairs in our
>garage.  I haven't a clue.  Then I need to post the capacity in
pounds
>on the wall.
>
>The structure is built 6X6's and 2 X 4 lumber.  Lined walls and floor
>with 1/4" plywood on the walls and 3/4" plywood on the floor.  The
>measurements are 35' X 17' .
>

>Help, help, help.
>
>Sincerely,
>Catherine
>
>cathrynrude@aol.com

The load you can carry in the attic depends on the span and the size
of the joists.   The load can be higher if there is a load bearing
wall.  I suggest you contact your local building inspector and ask if
they have tables that give the loads for 2 x 6's for various spans.  I
have seen these tables in carpentary books, and in some engineering
handbooks.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®