Q&A #4160

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Teaching capacity-quarts, gallons and etc.

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Louise

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003040609:54:35
Subject: Capacity-volume

Hello!! I'm a student teacher from Ireland, and I got a bit confused when I read some of the e-mails listed, concerning capacity and volume! I always thought volume and capacity were two different things; that volume was the area within a 3D object, but the capacity was the area that was taken up by another material within the volume!! (That sounds very confusing!!) Say for example a coca cola bottle holds 300ml of coca cola, that's the capacity. But there's still a small air gap at the top of the bottle!!!-That little bit of air, and the coke equals the volume; which is the ENTIRE area within a 3D object!!! Phew! I'm probably wrong, in which case you can go ahead and let me know!! But that's always the impression I had! Sorry if I've confused anyone!!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®