Q&A #4186

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Age 7 in 5th grade

View entire discussion

From: Edith

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003081020:47:56
Subject: Same son

Good evening, The school principal told me that my 7 year old had a grade 5 level in Math and Reading.I never accelerated him nor hold him back. I work with him when he asks me to but he never opens his books from school, plays all the time and does some grade 5 work with him when he asks. He reads Harry Potter. I let him do whatever he feels like. The school principal told me he has an anger management problem, I ignored her and told the board personel via Email to cancel the appointment with the School Based Support Team when she made one because I never wanted an IPRC in the 1st place. My advice is to ignore the so-called professional, to tell your son that school is play time, to keep him in his grade and to talk to his friends in class if he gets bored. When he comes home let him pick the books and the work that he is willing to do. My experience tells me that an hour and a half one on one is the equivalent of a school day in class. Good luck Edith

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®