Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #4186

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Age 7 in 5th grade

View entire discussion

From: Edith <edith.pearson@rogers.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003081020:47:56
Subject: Same son

Good evening,

The school principal told me that my 7 year old had a grade 5 level
in Math and Reading.I never accelerated him nor hold him back.
I work with him when he asks me to but he never opens his books from
school, plays all the time and does some grade 5 work with him when
he asks. He reads Harry Potter. I let him do whatever he feels like.
The school principal told me he has an anger management problem, I
ignored her and told the board personel via Email to cancel the
appointment with the School Based Support Team when she made one
because I never wanted an IPRC in the 1st place. My advice is to
ignore the so-called professional, to tell your son that school is
play time, to keep him in his grade and to talk to his friends in
class if he gets bored. When he comes home let him pick the books
and the work that he is willing to do. My experience tells me that
an hour and a half one on one is the equivalent of a school day in
class.
Good luck
Edith

Post a reply to this message