From: Fran Endicott Armstrong, Ph.D. <armstl@sbcglobal.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005121915:55:05
Subject: hands-on math lab

The problem is trying to do this via a 2-dimensional representation on
a computer screen.  What is missing from these students experience is
precisely that--experience interacting in three-space (where we live,
the 3-dimensional world) with mathematics manipulatives (e.g.,
Cuisenaire Rods, Base Ten Blocks, Pattern Blocks, Hands-On Equations,
Algebra Lab Gear, etc.) in a self-paced guided discovery way under the
competent mentoring of adult mentors who are knowledgeable about the
mentoring strategies of such a lab.  This is what I do for adult
learners at St. Louis Community College/Meramec
(www.stlcc.edu/mc/dept/math/homl/homl.htm) and at The Soulard School
(an independent K-8 school that just started in August of 2005 with 14
students in K-3).  You may email me at armstl@sbcglobal.net.  Also the
above-listed web site has some information and pictures about the
mathematics manipulatives I suggest.  However, the prices and catalog
numbers on the web site have not been update recently and the
companies have changed.

Fran

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question