Q&A #4243

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Connecting hands-on and technology for remedial math

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: Fran Endicott Armstrong, Ph.D.

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005121916:55:05
Subject: hands-on math lab

The problem is trying to do this via a 2-dimensional representation on a computer screen. What is missing from these students experience is precisely that--experience interacting in three-space (where we live, the 3-dimensional world) with mathematics manipulatives (e.g., Cuisenaire Rods, Base Ten Blocks, Pattern Blocks, Hands-On Equations, Algebra Lab Gear, etc.) in a self-paced guided discovery way under the competent mentoring of adult mentors who are knowledgeable about the mentoring strategies of such a lab. This is what I do for adult learners at St. Louis Community College/Meramec (www.stlcc.edu/mc/dept/math/homl/homl.htm) and at The Soulard School (an independent K-8 school that just started in August of 2005 with 14 students in K-3). You may email me at armstl@sbcglobal.net. Also the above-listed web site has some information and pictures about the mathematics manipulatives I suggest. However, the prices and catalog numbers on the web site have not been update recently and the companies have changed. Fran

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®