Q&A #4258

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Geometry

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: mike

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003052923:57:04
Subject: Re: long lasting tradition

I first taught seventh grade math and found that teachers felt they had to spend most of the year reviewing last year's material. Therefore teachers never got to the back of the book where textsbooks actually put the new material. I review as well, but math books built in review material as you go through it. So many spend way too much time at the beginning of the year on reviewing material from the past. Take a week or tow, then slowly start introducing new material, with some review mixed in. The students will be interested in something new, and become interested. Then you will cover more ground through the year, and get to the material next year's teachers are expecting students to have. Then they don't have to review so long, and then they can move on . . . and the students can tehn stay interested. I remember being in sixth grade wondering why I was still learning about fractions for the third year in a row. When my teacher introduced "algebra" to us, it was exciting. As for when you teach geometry in the year, I agree that the order is not as important as it would be for algebra concepts. When your students start to get stale with what you are currently doing, do a geometry unit and then tie it back to what you have been doing and are going to do next. Then your students will start to see math as a unified subject, not just a set of formulas and facts to be learned.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®