Q&A #4301

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Order of operations: Algebra

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Claire

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004070201:48:41
Subject: Re: Order of Operations Game

Regarding a good Order of Operations game... I have two good games for the Order of Operations that my students enjoy. 1. I came up with this idea while I was student teaching. My students were really struggling with the concept of order of operations and getting bored with the day to day math. It is loosely based on the game of "telephone". I have used it with white boards and white board pens as well as pencil and paper. I put the students in groups of 4 to 5 and have the students sit in columns. The first student in the row starts with the white board (or paper). I write a problem on the board involving more than two operations. The first person in the row writes down the problem and then passes the board/paper to the person behind them. The second person performs the first operation in the problem only and then passes it to the third. The third person must first judge if the step is correct or not, either fix the step or perform the second step in the problem and then passes it to the fourth person. When the problem gets to the end of the row, the board or paper is passed to the front of the row. This continues until the group thinks they are finished with the problem. The first group to have the correct steps AND answer wins that round. I have to see different handwriting for each step for the group to win. With each round, a different student in each group starts the problem. 2. BINGO I come up with about 30-40 Order of Operation problems that have the answers from 0 to 30 or -20 to +20, depending on what I want the students to practice. I have the students fill in a 5 x 5 grid with the numbers from 0 to 30, so that none repeat. They will not have all the numbers on their grid. I usually write the problems on note cards and have students pick cards as I go along. As each problem is picked, I write the problem on the overhead and the students solve it. If the answer is on their grid, they cross it off. If an answer has been picked already, then they know their steps are incorrect! I will either give candy or a little extra credit for BINGO's. A note about BINGO, if it goes on too long, the students get bored. Also, many students get more than one BINGO, so this should only go on for 10-15 problems. Just a quick little game at the end of a period or something. I hope this helps! Claire

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®