From: Rick Nelson

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001012519:59:57
Subject: Ancient math curriculum

Every year prior to Holiday vacation with my 9th grade math students I assign each of them a person from history who had an impact on mathematics or used mathematics to improve the society of which they were a part.(i.e Emmy Noether, Galieo, Archimedes, Einstein, etc). The kids whine about doing a written report in math class, but afterwards, truly enjoy learning about someone in history that isn't necessarily related to a History or Social Studies curriculum. I have the students make a oral presentation of their research and if they like, present a physical example of what this mathematician discovered/invented (i.e. Archimedes screw, Fibonacci sequence) It becomes a very positive learning experience for all.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/