Q&A #4320

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Ancient math

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Lee

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002050811:55:47
Subject: Racist Tendencies to Discredit Non-European Practices

You go to great strives to discredit Vedic mathematics and such. Is there a reason for your discord? Do you just feel that there is no place in mathematics for a sense of history? I find it disturbing when an individual tends to only acknowledge the works of a very Euro-centric and Caucasian nature. If this is not the case, then I apologise; however, if your distaste for Vedic or other early forms of mathematics stems from a dislike of non-"White" practices, then I do hope you can overcome those racist and prejudiced tendencies. Not everything in civilisation stemmed from the Greeks and Romans and it is important to acknowledge other cultures as well.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®