From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002062606:00:38
Subject: Re: confidence level

It has been awhile since I worked with statistics, but I think that the probability is associated with a confidence interval. The smaller the sample size, the larger the interval would be if you wanted a high probility statement. If you can get more samples, the the interval would narrow. Thus you might say, "I am 95% confident that the average diameter of trees in the forest is between 24 and 36 inches." If you said 99% instead of 95% then the interval would have to be wider. You could make the interval narrower by lowering the probility to say, 88%.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/