From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002062606:00:38
Subject: Re: confidence level

It has been awhile since I worked with statistics, but I think that
the probability is associated with a confidence interval.  The smaller
the sample size, the larger the interval would be if you wanted a high
probility statement. If you can get more samples, the the interval
would narrow.  Thus you might say, "I am 95% confident that the
average diameter of trees in the forest is between 24 and 36 inches."
If you said 99% instead of 95% then the interval would have to be
wider.  You could make the interval narrower by lowering the probility
to say, 88%.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®