From: Angela <Angeee03@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000082916:43:58
Subject: Reply to all the helpful responses

Dear Jan, Thank you for the site. The problem I see is that it only
goes up to 12 students and I don't see a pattern. It seems like trial
and error was used. My biggest class has 27 students. My smallest
class has 15. My brother made a program for me using excel. He is a
genius. The problem does have a fault though. You must use groups that
will always divide in half to get an even number. The groups can be 2,
4, 8, 12, 24 or 32. When I have my biggest class, I have been typing
in 24 names and leaving out three. then I pair them up with one of the
other groups.

Is anyone interested in a program that does this?
Does anyone have a program that will work with any number of students
you type in?

 This is a wonderful way to teach students to work with other
students. I teach science to fifth through eighty graders. With this
program I can easily assign lab partners. Each lab they get a new
partner. They seem to be upset at first but it really works in the
end. They are happy to work with kids they normally probably wouldn't
be with. They know that it's only for one lab if it's someone they
don't get along that great with. It eliminates the boy choosing boy
and girl choosing girl all the time too. They know that they'll
eventually be with every other person and they really learn from each
other. I tell them that having many partners gives them a chance to
learn different things from each other and also to teach others things
they know themselves.

Thanks for all the responses.

Angela

Post a reply to this message