Q&A #4348

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Decomposing numbers

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004093011:29:34
Subject: Re: Decomposing Numbers

I could only find a reference to decomposing in state standards in SC standards for K-2: "D. Develop a sense of whole numbers and represent and use them in flexible ways, including relating, composing, and decomposing numbers." This seemed to lead to Tufts U. and the NCMT. But they gave no example of what is meant. However, I did google this as well as Ask Jeaves and found that mostly they mean representing a number in different ways such as: 7=3+4, 7=2+5 etc. There was a bit about borrowing and regrouping also. But SX were only talking about kids up to 2nd grade, so that may not include borrowing and reqrouping. The problem with many state standards is they are written in language that most people don't understand the language. When, VA first came out with the standards many teachers didn't understand what was intended until finally lots of framework material was made available which gave examples. I susgest you write to your state dept of education and see what is meant. I think it is sad, when these high level documents are put out with no examples as to what is meant.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®