Q&A #4489

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Bulletin Boards

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: alli etherington

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000090121:03:34
Subject: bulletin board

I have tons of bulletin board space in my room - here's two things I am doing this year to make them interesting: 1. Math Quote of the Week - posting quotations from mathematicians, scientists (and maybe even some of my students) up on a weekly basis in order to stimulate discussion or provide subject matter for journal entries. These can be used to springboard into topics or units currently being examined in class. 2. I am having my gr. 11s do a bulletin board project. In groups of 2 or 3 their task is to investigate a topic and create a bulletin board display to reflect what they have learned. Topics include mathematics and sports, mathematics and music, mathematics and art, mathematics and games of chance, mathematics and special effects, mathematics and medicine, mathematics and nature...the list goes on. The idea is to get the kids to see the role math plays in almost every aspect of life. This idea was inspired by Keith Devlin's "Life by the Numbers". The students are required to give a brief oral presentation to communicate their findings to the class. It is my hope that these displays will stimulate interest and provide more connections from math to the living world!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®