From: Flavia Gunter

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001091220:22:00
Subject: Decorating my classroom

I am a fouth grade teacher and find decorating my classroom with math themes quite challenging. This year I adopted an idea from a first grade reading word wall. I cut out the words Math Word Wall and monted it across a large empty wall. Below that heading I have the letters of the alphabet. (Double sided mounting tape holds up for the whole year.) As we use mathematical terms I write the word on a blank 3x5 index card and mount it under the letter. Some of the words that are up so far are sum, difference, equation, add, subtract, fact, factor, multiple, average, product, equal, subtract,century. The social studies teacher just completed a unit on map skills and she added the words, parallel and coordinates to the wall as well. This brought about a real connection between content areas for the students. They are enjoying seeing the word wall grow. Never before have I seen students so interested in math vocabulary. On another wall between two windows, I mount the facts for the family that we are studying, e.g. this week we are studying the eight family. Students make and decorate fact cards e.g. 8x4=32. Students take turns making and displaying these fact cards. Flavia

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/