From: Flavia Gunter <flaviagunter@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001091219:22:00
Subject: Decorating my classroom

I am a fouth grade teacher and find decorating my classroom with math
themes quite challenging.  This year I adopted an idea from a first
grade reading word wall.   I cut out the words Math Word Wall and
monted it across a large empty wall. Below that heading I have the
letters of the alphabet.  (Double sided mounting tape holds up for the
whole year.) As we use mathematical terms I write the word on a blank
3x5 index card and mount it under the letter.  Some of the words that
are up so far are sum, difference, equation, add, subtract, fact,
factor, multiple, average, product, equal, subtract,century.  The
social studies teacher just completed a unit on map skills and she
added the words, parallel and coordinates to the wall as well.  This
brought about a real connection between content areas for the
students.  They are enjoying seeing the word wall grow.  Never before
have I seen students so interested in math vocabulary.  On another
wall between two  windows, I mount the facts for the family that we
are studying, e.g. this week we are studying the eight family.
Students make and decorate fact cards e.g. 8x4=32.  Students take
turns making and displaying these fact cards.
Flavia

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®