From: Rik <aikmanr@home.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001100719:44:24
Subject: Re: Poster Project

Whenever I do poster-type projects the majority of the evaluation is
done by the students.

All the posters are displayed in the room and I use one or more of the
following assessment methods.

1)  Each student is assigned a group of 4 posters to grade out of 10
and told they must assign a total of exactly 32 (or 30) marks. As well
as the mark they must include at least one positive statement about
the poster and only one suggestion for improvement.

2)  Students are told to pick their top 5 (or top 3 if it is a small
class) but they do not have to rank them first, second, etc. Each
student is then assigned 5 posters to make positive comments and only
one negative comment about.

3)  I have a group of students from a different class stand in the
middle of the room and without examining the content of the poster,
pick their top 5 (and maybe bottom 5) based solely on impact and
presentation.

4)  The students grade each poster as top third of the class, middle
third of the class, or bottom third.

Each student then has to rank their own poster as top third, middle
third or bottom third. They have to state two (or three) things they
did well on their poster and two (or three) ways they could improve
their work.

Rik

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question