From: Ilana <ilbarhay@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004101217:25:02
Subject: Re: Re: A different way to subtract than normally taught.

I use a different method. I told my daughter to name it so that she
would think of it as her own. She called it the "ten and minus method"
Here it is:

34-18
1.  so get the 18 to the nearest multiple of ten which her is 20. So
we added 2

2. From 20 to 30 is 10
    and to 34 it is 10+4 which is 14

3. 14+2 = 16