From: Rosa <rpd73@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001102222:19:56
Subject: Pumpkin math

	In the past I have used pumpkins for counting the seeds and  graphing
the number of seeds in each individual pumpkin;  the students used
them to make necklaces measuring the cord and counting how many seeds
it take to make individual necklace; we used them as part of our
cooking class - pumpkin pie and cookies - measurement; with my older
students we had a seed "spitting" contest (sound awful but it was fun)
measuring the distance;  seeds were also used to measure the top of
their desks, books, pencil, etc. as an estimation problem - good for
science project; some were dyed and used to make geometric shapes that
were glued to construction paper;  used to illustrate addition and
simple subtraction problems; used as silent counters;  made nice bingo
card covers; saved and given to the birds at the end of projects.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/