From: Rosa

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001102223:19:56
Subject: Pumpkin math

In the past I have used pumpkins for counting the seeds and graphing the number of seeds in each individual pumpkin; the students used them to make necklaces measuring the cord and counting how many seeds it take to make individual necklace; we used them as part of our cooking class - pumpkin pie and cookies - measurement; with my older students we had a seed "spitting" contest (sound awful but it was fun) measuring the distance; seeds were also used to measure the top of their desks, books, pencil, etc. as an estimation problem - good for science project; some were dyed and used to make geometric shapes that were glued to construction paper; used to illustrate addition and simple subtraction problems; used as silent counters; made nice bingo card covers; saved and given to the birds at the end of projects.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/