Q&A #491

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Teaching multiplication

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Leonito A. Fabian

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2012113003:50:29
Subject: Teaching Multiplication Table/Facts to Primary School Children

Hello fellow mathematics teachers/tutors Aside from memorization,how do we teach our children the table of multiplication facts (up to 9 X 9)? Are there other methods we can use? Are these other methods not boring? but fun? and attention catcher? In addition to memorization, I know of three other ways to teach children the basic multiplication facts. Once students taught with these other methods gained mastery, same methods can be used to expand the 9 X 9 table to an even bigger table/matrix of 99 X 99. WOW! Teaching children foundational mathematics concepts is of utmost importance during their growing years. They need good teachers who will provide them the strong foundation. They need 'good teachers' who can make their LESSONS SO EASY TO UNDERSTAND BUT SO DIFFICULT TO FORGET. In teaching the multiplication table using the method of memory for example, we do not ask the children to memorize the whole/entire 9 X 9 table. They need to do a quarter of it only. Tbhis makes it so simple and easy then. HOW? Just follow this technique. 9 X 9 MULTIPLICATION TABLE TABLES 2, 3, 4 and 5 are not to be memorized as these are easy for the children. They are taught 'skip counting'. TABLES 6, 7, 8, and 9 are to be learned by heart and be taught rigidly. However,multiplication is commutative as we know, therefore only half of these facts need to be learned. 7X8 is the same as 8X7 as 8X9 to 9X8 and etc.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®