From: Leonito A. Fabian <fabianleonito@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2012113002:50:29
Subject: Teaching Multiplication Table/Facts to Primary School Children

Hello fellow mathematics teachers/tutors
     Aside from memorization,how do we teach our children the table of
multiplication facts (up to 9 X 9)? Are there other methods we can
use? Are these other methods not boring? but fun? and attention
catcher?
     In addition to memorization, I know of three other ways to teach
children the basic multiplication facts. Once students taught with
these other methods gained mastery, same methods can be used to expand
the 9 X 9 table to an even bigger table/matrix of 99 X 99. WOW!
     Teaching children foundational mathematics concepts is of utmost
importance during their growing years. They need good teachers who
will provide them the strong foundation. They need 'good teachers' who
can make their LESSONS SO EASY TO UNDERSTAND BUT SO DIFFICULT TO
FORGET.
     In teaching the multiplication table using the method of memory
for example, we do not ask the children to memorize the whole/entire
9 X 9 table. They need to do a quarter of it only. Tbhis makes it so
simple and easy then. HOW? Just follow this technique.

                    9 X 9 MULTIPLICATION TABLE

   TABLES 2, 3, 4 and 5 are not to be memorized as these are easy for
the children. They are taught 'skip counting'.
   TABLES 6, 7, 8, and 9 are to be learned by heart and be taught
rigidly. However,multiplication is commutative as we know, therefore
only half of these facts need to be learned. 7X8 is the same as 8X7 as
8X9 to 9X8 and etc.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®