Q&A #494

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Multiplication tables

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Joanne

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000092414:56:01
Subject: problems with memorization

My school has implemented parallel block scheduling this year, and my fourth grade class consists of the low level (half) and average level (half) students. While the average students are able to memorize the multiplication facts, the lower students are struggling. Since those students aren't visual learners, I've found that daily oral repetition seems to be helping. I've tried some of the rap songs with this group, but they have behavior issues as well and get carried away with the music instead of focusing on the numbers. I am bound by the curriculum map in my district and must start teaching multiplication next month whether they know the facts or not. Since I want them to understand and learn the process rather than trying to remember the facts, they will be free to use a multiplication chart while working through the multiplication process. I would appreciate suggestions on teaching multiplication or math in general to a group of predominantly low students. Their interest levels and mental abilities are average, but their visual capabilities and reading levels are at the first grade level.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®