From: Katie <kweeks@umd.edu>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2012120414:46:59
Subject: Multiplcation Tables

Recently in my class we have been discussing how to find patterns in
the multiplication table.  This has helped my students a lot because
once they identify the patterns they can better understand the math
facts. I feel that patterns are a lot more relatable to the students
than the act of simply memorizing facts.

Some patterns they have identified so far include that the 9s facts
goes up by ones in the one category.   They also were able to
recognize that the 3s facts is even, odd, even, odd.  I think that
learning these patterns really engaged my students and allowed them to
better understand the math they are learning. I think these are
important conversations to have with children when teaching them about
math.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®