From: Leonito A. Fabian <fabianleonito@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2013010202:08:24
Subject: Re: Multiplcation Tables

Hello Katie and to all fellow mathematics teachers,

     I like to share a concern on how the 9 X 9 multiplication table
is being taught to our grade school students by many of our fellow
math teachers. The traditional method of learning the table is by
memorization. Most teachers simply ask their students to memorize the
multiplication facts and nothing more. Though memorizing it is not
totally wrong but teaching the children to learn it through other ways
may help eliminate the difficulty a child undergoes in plain
memorizing the facts.
     There are several ways to teach the multiplication facts starting
 from making each child to understand that learning the facts is not
difficult but rather easy. This will eliminate the fear that may be
built up in the child's mind.
     Here is how I do it.
   1. NEVER IMPRESS IN THE CHILD'S MIND THAT LEARNING THE 9 X 9
MULTIPLICATION TABLE IS DIFFICULT.
   2. DO NOT ANYMORE ASK THE CHILD TO MEMORIZE/STUDY TABLES FOR 1, 2,
3, 4 AND 5 AS THEY ARE TAUGHT 'SKIP COUNTING'.
   3. PICTURE TO THE CHILD THAT THE TABLE IS REDUCED TO A QUARTER ITS
ORIGINAL SIZE.
   4. MAKE THE CHILD UNDERSTAND THE 'COMMUTATIVE PROPERTY' OF
MULTIPLICATION. LET HIM UNDERSTAND THAT 6 X 7 IS THE SAME AS 7 X 6,
AND 8 X 9 TO 9 X 8, ETC.
   5. EXPLAIN THAT THE REMAINING TABLES 6, 7, 8 AND 9 IS AFTER ALL
REDUCED AGAIN TO HALF. FROM 81 FACTS TO 36 TO 16 AND FINALLY TO 10
FACTS.
   6. TRULY, ONLY THE FOLLOWING FACTS MUST BE STUDIED AND MEMORIZED:
6X6, 6X7, 6X8, 6X9, 7X7, 7X8, 7X9, 8X8,8X9 AND 9X9.
   7. SO, WE NOW REALIZE THAT ONLY TEN (10) MULTIPLICATION FACTS ARE
NEEDED TO BE STUDIED/UNDERSTOOD/MEMORIZED. THEREFORE WE NEED NOT
TERRORIZE THE STUDENTS BY ASKING THEM TO PLAINLY MEMORIZE THE WHOLE
TABLE OF MULTIPLICATION.
   8. FROM HERE, I TEACH THEM FINGER MULTIPLICATION, OR USING
REFERENCE NUMBER 10, AND THE 'FOLD AND READ'TECHNIQUE.
   9. I HOPE AND AM LOOKING FORWARD THAT THIS LITTLE IDEA OF MAKING
OUR STUDENTS LEARN THE MULTIPLICATION TABLE BE SHARED TO THEM AT THE
EARLY STAGE OF THEIR LIVES.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®