Q&A #495

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Rounding numbers to the nearest ten

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: Mary Wolf

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000073118:21:50
Subject: teaching how to "round"

I am subbing for an RSP teacher for a month. I have a 5th grade student who is supposed to be working on division problems and decimals, however, I have quickly learned that she doesn't know her multiplication facts, and she doesn't know how to round numbers for estimating possible answers to long division problems. I am currently working on strategies for helping her with her multiplication facts, however, I am stumped in teaching her "rounding". Each time we go into it, I find out she knows less and less about it! For example, while she now understands to round up if the number is 5+ and down if 0-4, she doesn't know her place values, and she doesn't know if 203 is closer to 200 or 300! How can I best get her up-to-speed on the application of rounding when solving long division problems? Thanks! mary

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®