From: Mary Wolf
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000073117:21:50
Subject: teaching how to "round"

I am subbing for an RSP teacher for a month.  I have a 5th grade
student who is supposed to be working on division problems and
decimals, however, I have quickly learned that she doesn't know her
multiplication facts, and she doesn't know how to round numbers for
estimating possible answers to long division problems.

I am currently working on strategies for helping her with her
multiplication facts, however, I am stumped in teaching her
"rounding".  Each time we go into it, I find out she knows less and
less about it!  For example, while she now understands to round up if
the number is 5+ and down if 0-4, she doesn't know her place values,
and she doesn't know if 203 is closer to 200 or 300!

How can I best get her up-to-speed on the application of rounding when
solving long division problems?

Thanks!
mary

Post a reply to this message