Q&A #495

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Rounding numbers to the nearest ten

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: Margaret

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001092009:36:35
Subject: Re: Re: rounding numbers to the nearest ten

I teach fifth but we group for math and I work with the lowest twenty kids out of over 150 fifth graders. I made up this story for rounding and I actually acted it out with a stuffed bear. The bear will growl and stay where he is for anything small but for something big he goes up. He can't go down any lower but he can go up a tree. First you need to find the bear. If you are rounding to the nearest hundred, one hundred has two zeroes so start by changing the last two numbers to zero. Now the next number, the third from the right is the bear. If the bear sees a big number he goes up. If its more than four you scare the bear The bear is only scared by the number next to him. This seemed to help a lot!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®