Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #4952

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Decomposition in math subtraction

View entire discussion

From: Byron

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2010121313:01:06
Subject: another form of decomposition?

Very interesting thread. Would this be another form of decomposition or is it simply just a way to reorganize? 7 + 5 = ? 5 = 3 + 2 7 + 3 + 2 = ? 10 + 2 = ? 12 = ? I started using this idea after working with Henry Borenson's "Hands-On Equations." This is a morph of his creating of a "convenient zero": I ask my students to create a "convenient ten." I find that it develops their number fluency (numeracy) while getting them past counting on their fingers. Would this appear to be a useful way for first and second graders to think about adding or so you think it is more work than it's worth? Thank you.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/