Q&A #4952

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Decomposition in math subtraction

View entire discussion

From: Byron <laneb@harborfieldscsd.org>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2010121313:01:06
Subject: another form of decomposition?

Very interesting thread.

Would this be another form of decomposition or is it simply just a way
to reorganize?

7 + 5 = ?

5 = 3 + 2

7 + 3 + 2 = ?

10 + 2 = ?

12 = ?

I started using this idea after working with Henry Borenson's
"Hands-On Equations."  This is a morph of his creating of a
"convenient zero": I ask my students to create a "convenient ten."  I
find that it develops their number fluency (numeracy) while getting
them past counting on their fingers.

Would this appear to be a useful way for first and second graders to
think about adding or so you think it is more work than it's worth?

Thank you.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®