Q&A #4990

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Teaching algebra in middle school

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001090210:53:51
Subject: Pre Algebra Framework

The following are sold only on EBAY. I have sold about 50 sets and so far all feedback has been positive. There are two sets listed; one with worksheets and one without. I only recently added the worksheets (copy masterss. Search on "Pre Algebra Framework." to locate these on EBAY. Here is a description of the cards. This set of 26 pre-algebra topics are printed on 4x6 index cards bound with a comb plastic binding. Important concepts are in color to assist in learning. They are intended to be a framework for teachers of students who will enter algebra some day. The topics mirror the ideas I find myself re-teaching algebra I and II students in my tutoring sessions. Included on most of the cards is a reference to the Virginia Standards of Learning. This reference is located on the lower left of the cards. Students proficient in ideas expressed herein should do well when they enter algebra in the 8th or 9th grade. These Middle School Math Cards are to provide a pre-algebra framework, using numerical methods, for middle school teachers, home school teachers or interested parents. The cards are not intended to be a text book but they represent content areas where students are weak. These cards can be used with your current middle school text book to prepare homework assignments. Many of the areas are in modern middle school text books. However, often these areas are skipped because the teacher may be pressed for time or think they are not important in middle school - but can wait until high school. I developed these cards based upon experience in many private tutoring sessions with algebra I and II students. Additionally, experience in tutoring and teaching adults in basic mathematics and algebra caused me to realize that many of them were deficient in simple ideas expressed in many of the framework cards. Cards AP 2, 3 and 4 involve some memory work. I have tutored many students who were so slow because they were never made to learn multiplication facts. Please do not skip cards 2 through 4. MIDDLE SCHOOL MATHEMATICS TABLE OF CONTENTS ALGEBRA PREP CHART NUMBER Front cover, Pythagorean Theorem 1. Place Value 16. Distributive Law 2. Multiplication Facts 17. Common Factors 3. Fractions Worth Understanding 18. Difference of Two Squares 4. Table of Squares, Cubes etc. 19. Square of a Binomial (a -b)^2 5. Short Division 20. Square of a Binomial (a + b)^2 6. Factors, Composites & Primes 21. Powers & Roots 7. Least Common Multiple 22. Percent of Increase 8 & 9. Divisibility rules 23. Percent of Decrease 10. Least Common Denominator 24. Literal Equations 11 & 12. Finding the LCD 25. Like Radicals 13, 14 & 15. Ratio & Proportion 26. Pascalís Triangle

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®