From: Sandy Rea

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002041823:22:07
Subject: algebra for advanced 7th graders

Hi. I'm a new teacher, and I'm new to these forums. I have a question that's related to this discussion. I know most people seem to be in favor of not teaching Algebra so early in middle school. We are trying to decide on a few math issues right now in our 5 year old charter school. We're trying to decide between keeping all 7th graders in pre-algebra (tracked with advanced and regular), all 8th graders in algebra I, and all 9th graders in geometry. (We're using the Singapore books for K-7 grade and the Bates Publishing, Weeks & Adkins books for Algebra and Geometry). However, we have lots of parents who want their children to study the pre-algebra texts over the summer (with proper assessments), then take algebra I as 7th graders. I could actually see this because I have a few students in my pre-algebra and algebra I classes as 7th graders who are bored to tears because they have already mastered all these concepts. I understand taking fewer topics and going deeper rather than shallowly teaching more topics. But for the cases where students have already mastered these topics, I could see them advancing atleast one class higher. I don't think they should advance over 2 classes, but I could see advancing one topic. Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback from people to see what other schools are doing in this area to help challenge the advanced students. Thanks for any help! Sandy Rea Liberty Common School Fort Collins, CO

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/