Q&A #4990

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Teaching algebra in middle school

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Tim Torgerson

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003102622:02:40
Subject: Re: algebra for advanced 7th graders

Hi, I have twenty years of teaching experience in a private school. Four years ago our school decided to group math students beginning in the 5th grade through 8th grade. This has allowed us to teach more to the level of the student and not to the middle of the group. We offer pre-algebra to 7th graders and 8th graders, and Algebra to 8th graders. After fourth grade, we use a placement test and teacher recommendation to place the students in three different levels in 5th grade. Only those that are placed in the highest level will be able to advance to Algebra by 8th grade. Those in the middle category will get pre-algebra and those in the lower group will get the basic general math necessary before high school. Kids definitely learn at different paces, and we have found grouping them to be a big benefit to reach the different levels of learning within the students.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®