From: knottynodder <grcmccormick>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007083014:44:08
Subject: Re: Re: best way to teach algebra

"Tricks" and such are part of the problem of our kids having problems.
I wish teachers would stop teaching shortcuts before their students
understand what they are doing.
I am trying to help adults now that have dropped out of school because
of difficulty in passing at the middle, and high school levels.
I am appalled at the pitiful education these people have received
before grade six.
Please, start teaching basic, sound principles in all subjects again.
I am 60. I did not graduate high school. I only attended through the
10 grade. However I am able to tutor these students in basic
arithmetic and algebra with what seems to be much better results than
the teachers they went to school with.
Average age of these students is 30.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question