Q&A #4990

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Teaching algebra in middle school

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jasmine

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007102206:53:06
Subject: Re:teaching maths

Dear sir\madame Iam a science and math train teacher who interest in teaching algebra at middle school.I want some sample lesson activity in algebra.I have two email adress that you can use.One in s11016677@student.usp.ac.fj and the other one is s11016677@yahoo.com.au I thank you in advance for your cooperation and support and i look forward to your reply soon. Dear Boaz Nixon, I am a middle school co-ordinator at a local school in Australia and also am a mathematics teacher for year 7 and year 8 students. I have begun studying algebra with my year 7 students after they have grasped essentials such as percentages, integers, etc. I prefer teaching my year 7 students, who have begun learning the concepts of algebra by involving them in interactive activities and games which get them involved and enthusiastic about it, since it is often considered a complicated subject. I began with using plastic cups and assigning a variable for it such as d. Using counters or small cubes these are the constants that you add. If say for example the expression is d + 2, you use the plastic cup and get 2 counters and put it beside the cup. However, if the expression is 2d + 3, you use 2 cups and 3 counters beside it. Yet, if you put a value for d such as d = 4, you put 4 counters or cubes in the plastic cup. I feel that this was a hands-on, motivative approach to algebra, especially since year 7 students are simply beginners at algebra, often not introduced to it yet or have just been introduced to it. From there, you can further expand the type of information you teach your students, gradually getting them to learn about terms, variables, coefficients through these activities. I feel that even the most incompetent student is able to grasp the concept easily through games like this. Games like these are suitable for students of different aptitudes, however, if some students are quick learners it is helpful to proceed to more challenging activities. This could include programs such as using Maths300 to explain various algebraic concepts. This program is a great resource and my students enjoy it to a great extent. It really depends on which year or grade students you are teaching. Middle school is generally from year 7 - 9 and there are different approaches. But, I remember to maintain a positive attitude to mathematics and aim to make it a fun, interactive, enjoyable subject and rid of the commonly negative connotation mathematics evokes when students hear the word. Hope you take my advice and I hope I was of assistance, Jasmine Liu

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®