Q&A #4990

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Teaching algebra in middle school

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Patt Willard

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002021707:57:04
Subject: Re: Teaching Algebra in Middle School

I am in agreement with Chris. As a Florida teacher we are under the gun so to speak to see to it that all students pass algebra. There are some people out there that think everyone can understand this subject, but this is not true. There are some people, middle school or otherwise, that just do not have the cognitive ability to understand algebraic thinking beyond the simple fact of substituting a variable for an unknown amount (some can't even understand that). I firmly believe that the general math track in high school should have been left in place. In the area I live we have students drop out because they can't pass Algebra or the FCAT. Are we telling them they are stupid just because they do not have the ability to grasp this type of abstract thinking? In high school I remember the business math classes being designed for just that purpose "business" in which people that were not capable of the higher order maths were still able to develop skills to function in society as productive citizens. Not everyone was meant to be a rocket scientist. Patt

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®