From: Brian Foley <mathmojo@dmcom.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002021515:45:20
Subject: algebra for your brain

Interesting discussion. I like the word "all" in the original
question. I hope you mean should it be general policy for all
students, with lots of possibilities for exceptions.

"Algebraic thinking" is a lot better term than formal Algebra. Of
course students should be introduced to thinking in terms of patterns
instead of "how can I be tortured with numbers and rules I don't
understand this year."

I like Chris Mahoney's thinking on this. Chris, are you at the
Brookwood School in Georgia? I was hoping you were at the one up here
in upstate New York, because you sound like a good teacher.

Have any of you heard of Robert Moses's "Algebra Project?" He
considers algebra a civil right, and I think he has got it right.

I have taught at too many places where the kids get some feel-good
hokum about math, and never were even told that it is something they
could understand if they investigated how it works. Sneak in as much
"thinking exercises" as you can, and just don't call it algebra.

If you are teaching algebra in Florida, or anywhere else, because it
"will be on the test," you may want to rethink why you teach.

Brian Foley

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®