From: Tom Hibbs

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000120714:51:13
Subject: Student apathy

Tara, We used parent nights and the parent/teacher conferences as a method for involving parents. Although many people do not like "give aways" counted in the grades, I gave the students a "100% homework grade" to count into their quarter grade if their parents came in to look at their grades, talk, look at their student's math folder, and be involved. Then I worked to make sure all parents had the information to respond. If they couldn't make it to school, they would be called. I had only about 10 out of 80 at home follow-ups to make. How legitimate is the grade? Personally, I think that getting parents involved, having them bring in their kids folder and signing the rules of class, having them meet me, and meeting them is not only legitimate, but vital to creating a "math community" in your school. This method gets the students involved and makes the job of contacting parents easier. You only need to go after the parents who don't show, and that's a great exercise. Other teachers thought the parent night was "useless". So it's not the night, but the approach to the night that makes it a contribution to your class. Tom Hibbs MathStar Coordinator for Colorado

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/