From: Tara <tladner@harrison.k12.ms.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001011916:44:29
Subject: the best way

I think the theme that is emerging from the other responses is that 1)
you must constantly be open to change concerning grading and
assessment, 2) you must adjust and adapt to meet the needs of your
students while working inside the parameters given by the school
system, and 3) you must find a system that you can accept as the best
YOU can do personally.  I believe you have take a step in that
direction by looking for advice and suggestions from other teachers
--that is the key.

I have also allowed my personal life to dictate how I grade and assess
my students.  Before I had children, I thought I needed to grade every
paper for every student.  Now, I allow the student to grade his/her
own paper quite a bit, and all I do is record the grade.  (I still
grade all formal assessments, i.e. tests, quizzes, projects, etc.)
This leaves room for cheating.  I know this, and I have guidelines for
how the grading is completed.  (Everyone puts their pencil on the
floor in plain view until I tell them to pick them up.  They grade
with a red pen/pencil they provide.)  This allows them to have
immediate feedback and allows them to keep track of their grades for
themselves. Usually, we grade homework after they've had instruction,
class time and one night at home to try it, the next day in class to
ask questions, and a second night to correct any mistakes.  I feel
this gives the student ample time to understand the concept.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/