From: Tara

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001011917:44:29
Subject: the best way

I think the theme that is emerging from the other responses is that 1) you must constantly be open to change concerning grading and assessment, 2) you must adjust and adapt to meet the needs of your students while working inside the parameters given by the school system, and 3) you must find a system that you can accept as the best YOU can do personally. I believe you have take a step in that direction by looking for advice and suggestions from other teachers --that is the key. I have also allowed my personal life to dictate how I grade and assess my students. Before I had children, I thought I needed to grade every paper for every student. Now, I allow the student to grade his/her own paper quite a bit, and all I do is record the grade. (I still grade all formal assessments, i.e. tests, quizzes, projects, etc.) This leaves room for cheating. I know this, and I have guidelines for how the grading is completed. (Everyone puts their pencil on the floor in plain view until I tell them to pick them up. They grade with a red pen/pencil they provide.) This allows them to have immediate feedback and allows them to keep track of their grades for themselves. Usually, we grade homework after they've had instruction, class time and one night at home to try it, the next day in class to ask questions, and a second night to correct any mistakes. I feel this gives the student ample time to understand the concept.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/