From: Ginny <ellery@digital.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001012121:52:58
Subject: Re: the best way

You can also allow students to grade their own tests & quizzes as
well.  Since I have 3 small children, time has dictated that I no
longer grade every paper.  I have a class set of green pens that I
hand out with their paper.  They can have nothing on their desk except
that pen and their paper.  I go over the problems step-by-step and
they make corrections.  I tell them how many points each problem is
worth and they assess for partial credit.  The benefits are 1)
immediate feedback, 2)  they are forced to find their own errors, 3)
they have to determine how big/small the error was (which tells them
they either had no clue or made a bunch of dumb mistakes) and 4) it
only takes me 20 to 30 minutes to check over the papers and make final
grade adjustments.  Try it!  I have a few friends that are and they
think it works great.  Yes, students may try to cheat but if I catch
them they get a zero for that grade plus disciplinary action.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/