Q&A #5103

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Grading policy

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Carol

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001012021:01:19
Subject: effort only

I teach a primary grade, and at this age, there are some students have the advantage of involved parents, and others, who have the disadvantage of uninvolved parents. Therefore, to level the playing field, I use homework that will reinforce our skills and encourage parent involvement, but not penalize those whose parents won't help. Students receive a "responsibility" grade for showing their best effort on the assignment. If it isn't done at all, then it is a zero for that day's homework. If it is done with many errors, I reteach the student, and ask him/her to redo it and turn it in again the next day. The only grades are zero for no effort or responsibiltity, or 100 for acceptable effort and responsibility. By the way, homework grades are not entered in my gradebook for the individual subject they are related to. Homework is its own category in my gradebook, so it doesn't matter what subject it is.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®