From: Carol <shirleyc@kda.attmil.ne.jp>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001012020:01:19
Subject: effort only

I teach a primary grade, and at this age, there are some students have
the advantage of involved parents, and others, who have the
disadvantage of uninvolved parents.  Therefore, to level the playing
field, I use homework that will reinforce our skills and encourage
parent involvement, but not penalize those whose parents won't help.
Students receive a "responsibility" grade for showing their best
effort on the assignment.  If it isn't done at all, then it is a zero
for that day's homework.  If it is done with many errors, I reteach
the student, and ask him/her to redo it and turn it in again the next
day.  The only grades are zero for no effort or responsibiltity, or
100 for acceptable effort and responsibility.  By the way, homework
grades are not entered in my gradebook for the individual subject they
are related to.  Homework is its own category in my gradebook, so it
doesn't matter what subject it is.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®