From: Todd Nelson <tnelson@ta.edu>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001012710:38:32
Subject: Another way to grade homework

	Over the last three years I've been using a process that takes little
class time, provides immediate feedback, and rewards students for
effort.  FIrst, students grade their own papers in class (they can
find their answers faster than someone else).  Second, they write
three numbers on their papers -- # correct, # attempted, and #
assigned.  It is written in a fraction format, ie., 23/25/25.  I
record a grade based on the last two numbers.  The first number is
valuable information for both myself and the students.  I can easily
identify those students needing additional help and they are also made
aware of their shortcomings and often ask for help.  After grading, I
take questions and often have students volunteer to work them out on
the board.

This has been the most efficient method I've found in 16 years of
teaching.  Students and parents alike feel it is a fair system, and it
sure does seem to work.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®