Q&A #5103

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Grading policy

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Todd Nelson

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001012711:38:32
Subject: Another way to grade homework

Over the last three years I've been using a process that takes little class time, provides immediate feedback, and rewards students for effort. FIrst, students grade their own papers in class (they can find their answers faster than someone else). Second, they write three numbers on their papers -- # correct, # attempted, and # assigned. It is written in a fraction format, ie., 23/25/25. I record a grade based on the last two numbers. The first number is valuable information for both myself and the students. I can easily identify those students needing additional help and they are also made aware of their shortcomings and often ask for help. After grading, I take questions and often have students volunteer to work them out on the board. This has been the most efficient method I've found in 16 years of teaching. Students and parents alike feel it is a fair system, and it sure does seem to work.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®