From: Janet <janetclausen@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001022216:54:55
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Another way to grade homework

I also have students grade their own work in class using the same
method. I teach sixth grade all subjects at a private school and our
schedule is as follows: School is in session from 8 am to 11:30 am.
Because I teach all subjects, math, spelling, language, science,
history, reading, and bible, I don't have a lot of time. I have found
that this method works best. I give credit for doing homework and at
the end of the grading period I add the points together. The students
know that doing their homework can make the difference between an A or
a B. I don't like to put too much emphasis on point value because most
of my students have working parents who either can't or won't take the
time to help. The last thing that I want is for one of my kids to get
home and run into trouble and wind up frustrated. I even have a few
students that won't ask for help at home because the parent may be
uneducated and unable to assist. My students know that homework is
assigned for two reasons in my class. 1. We have had a bad day and
whatever is not covered in class must be done at home, and 2. It helps
me see what needs more attention prior to the test. It seems to work
well for the kids and I have a smaller stack of papers to take home.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/