From: Brian <Jbbosworth>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001031618:46:01
Subject: Grading homework

	I teach 7th grade pre-algebra in California.  Like most of you I have
found the grading policy to be a fluid process.  In my three years of
teaching I have tried everything that has been mentioned on this
bulletin board.  What works for me is to have the students grade their
own assignment on a scale of 1-10.  This grade is based on effort and
how well they think they have done.  I will then go around the class
and stamp their student planner if they have it done.  If they dont
have it done, they have one more day to finish it, but 10% will be
subtracted.  While they are working on their next assignment or
activity I will quickly spot check the homework and put the grade in
the grade book.  If the work is done poorly or incorrectly, I will
return it and they will have until the next class period to correct
their mistakes.  I will not accept any shoddy work.  The students seem
to like this policy, and it also gives me a chance to help the
students correct their work without penalizing them for a lack of
comprehension.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®