From: Jenny <Jkruger@tampabay.rr.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004102719:06:30
Subject: PEAK Insititute/grading assessments

I attended the Spence Rogers PEAK institute this summer and got some
neat ideas for grading assessments.

I use what I call the A/B/NY scale. <NY stands for "Not Yet.">

When a student is given an objective quiz <all quizzes are objective
quizzes, no chapter tests> they can either score an A/B or NY. If they
do not get an A or B, the NY is recorded as a "0." The student then
has a small assignment referred to as a "corrective assignment" and
then that is their "pass" to take a retest in class on a specified
date. If after the second test, they still have not mastered the
material, they can then do another corrective assignment and do
another retest, but this one is after school. If on the 3rd attempt
they do not get the A or B, I then replace the "0"[ with whatever
percent they actually earned on the last retake. If a student doesn't
bother with the retakes, then the "0" stays put.

It sounds harsh and drastic, but having used this method for one
quarter has made me a believer. My scores are much better this quarter
than in the past. I am seeing more effort out of my average students
who would typically be happy with a "C" or "D." Parents freaked out in
the beginning, so communication is KEY!

Also, my assessments are parallel and I never give them the same test
over and over. Fortunately, I teach math and therefore have a test
generator I can use.

My website explains the grading system in a little more detail:
http://it.pinellas.k12.fl.us/teachers4/krugerj/index.html

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®