Q&A #5103

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Grading policy

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jenny

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004102719:06:30
Subject: PEAK Insititute/grading assessments

I attended the Spence Rogers PEAK institute this summer and got some neat ideas for grading assessments. I use what I call the A/B/NY scale. <NY stands for "Not Yet."> When a student is given an objective quiz <all quizzes are objective quizzes, no chapter tests> they can either score an A/B or NY. If they do not get an A or B, the NY is recorded as a "0." The student then has a small assignment referred to as a "corrective assignment" and then that is their "pass" to take a retest in class on a specified date. If after the second test, they still have not mastered the material, they can then do another corrective assignment and do another retest, but this one is after school. If on the 3rd attempt they do not get the A or B, I then replace the "0"[ with whatever percent they actually earned on the last retake. If a student doesn't bother with the retakes, then the "0" stays put. It sounds harsh and drastic, but having used this method for one quarter has made me a believer. My scores are much better this quarter than in the past. I am seeing more effort out of my average students who would typically be happy with a "C" or "D." Parents freaked out in the beginning, so communication is KEY! Also, my assessments are parallel and I never give them the same test over and over. Fortunately, I teach math and therefore have a test generator I can use. My website explains the grading system in a little more detail: http://it.pinellas.k12.fl.us/teachers4/krugerj/index.html

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®