From: Jan Engberg

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2012082512:52:51
Subject: Grading policy

Hi Jennifer, As a middle school teacher in California with over 200 students each year, handling homework is a major burden and yet a necessary evil. Students need the daily practice and, at the middle school level anyway, if students don't think you are going to look at their work closely, their effort and quality of work rapidly diminishes. But looking at every assignment ever day can be daunting. So, here's what I have settled on for this year, teaching Advanced Pre-Algebra to 6th and 7th graders. I stamp everyone's homework at their seat daily at the beginning of each class while students are either correcting their homework or completing a warm up activity. Next, we discuss any questions students may have or any problem I might want to highlight. Finally, I randomly collect from 25% - 100% of the classes work to review and score more closely each day. Looking closely at their papers still gives me a good pulse of the class as a whole, while the random collection keeps them "honest." This year I am also implementing an interactive student notebook in my lessons. I want my class time to be spent more on investigation, application, and critical thinking. Because students will be working more with an interactive notebook instead of a traditional 'copy these notes and examples' I believe I will also have more opportunity to check for understanding. My class periods are short: 43 minutes, so I need to maximize my time with my students as much as possible. These notebooks will be collected at the end of each unit/chapter and assigned a rubric score. 75% Assessments - tests, quizzes, benchmarks, final exams,.. 5% Projects - one major project each semester - History of Math & Equal Area Mobile Project 10% Homework - 5 points a day for completeness, effort, and neatness. 10% Interactive Notebook Probably more information than you wanted, but hope it helps!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/