From: Gail

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000120515:32:08
Subject: Re: Grading policy

I do something similar to what Claudia mentioned, except that I make sure that a certain percentage of the points my students earn comes from different areas. For example, in my city, homework can only count as 10% of the total grade, so I make sure that the homework assignment points are 10% of the total. I only count tests as 30% of the total, and quizzes as 20%, that leaves 40 % for classwork. Of course, my students are fifth graders, so I may be grading them a bit differently than I would middle schoolers, or high schoolers. To throw another monkey wrench into it.. I let my students take their tests home and redo them for a better grade (I give half credit for corrections). I also never give a grade worth less than half the number of total points for that assignment/assessment. So, if the test is worth 100 points, I don't assign a grade lower than 50. I do this because statistically, if I assign grades lower than that, there is little way a student can recover from a failing grade and the whole idea is to encourage students to do their best, and to learn, not to catch them making mistakes. Even with these measures in place, I do not see inflated grades in my classroom. What I do have is a group of parents who agree that I have "bent over backwards" to try to give their children ever possible opportunity to succeed, and a group of students who recognize (most of them, anyway) that they are ultimately responsible for the grades they take home. Be prepared to change what you decide to do this time, when you come up with a strategy that fits your beliefs about how your students are doing. Also, whatever you decide, make it fair to everyone, and have data to back up your decisions. There will be at least one parent/student who will want verification of how you came up with this grade... -Gail, for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.com/t2t/

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/