From: LReese

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002071717:02:16
Subject: Re: math and female

Your points are exactly on target. Heterogeneous groups seem to work well with my female students. My classes are typically 2/3 female and 1/3 male. If the males and females are mixed together in teams, they all do better. The girls are more likely to speak up in the smaller settings! Also, at the risk of sounding sexist, don't we need to be sure our application problems include topics that interest teenage girls? It seems like a lot of the lesson plans center around sports and cars. I know many girls are interested in sports and cars, but these are typical teenage boy pursuits. Just a thought.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/