From: tamara brown

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002051222:18:39
Subject: Re: a Tutors opinion

After thinking about the comments regarding how women work through math, it makes sense why my female students suddenly clam up in math class. I teach in an alternative setting with 7-11 graders and the boys dominate the math class even when I know the girls are fully capable. The girls like to verbally talk their way through the problems, asking and clarifying points they may not understand. I myself work through math in that fashion. This seems to irritate the boys, who are very competitive and want to be the only one to get the 'right' answer. Or they want to solve the problem in a way that no one else thought of. Does anyone have suggestions to accomodate the 'chatty' girls while not alienating the 'all or nothing' boys?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/