From: Debra <do17dra@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005063002:45:07
Subject: techniques to help  student stay orderly when borrowing in subtraction

Both my daughter and I have difficulty with keeping our math problems
orderly.  this seems to be more of a problem with subtraction rather
than multiplication.   Any one know why?  My daughter (entering grade
5) understands the concept of borrowing.It seems that the visual
disorder created by crossing out numbers when borrowing creates some
processing problems.  We both lose our train of thought when borrowing

I tried two things that help keep the place values aligned: 1)graph
paper 2)and using regular lined paper rotated so the lines run
vertically.

I would also greatly appreciate LD/ADD type strategies for learning
arithmatic.

I've learned alot from the posts.

Thank you very much.

Post a reply to this message