From: Richard M.

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003042213:41:59
Subject: Re: Teaching Math to Disadvantaged High School Students

The conjunction of similarities here, Richard, which is my name too, prevents me from passing up this opportunity. I just started collecting SS, and I'm interested in teaching mathematics to disadvantaged HS students. I left the field of civil engineering some 13 years ago, and, although mine is a highly problematic situation, I have made preliminary efforts towards certification. During the summer of 2001, the local comunity college here in NE Florida was required to revamp its HS/GED program, and they used me to fill in---remediating older HS-aged/adult students towards a HS diploma or GED certificate. The students signed up for basic arithmetic, algebra, and geometry courses; bought books; attended class twice a week; worked according to a prescribed homework schedule; and took prescribed tests whenever they felt ready to do so---all in one room. I was there as a tutor (on an individual basis)and as an administrator/grader of the tests. It wasn't a typical HS setting, and the students came with a range of motivations and disadvantages. I stressed neatness, completeness (no skipping of steps)and the fact that there is nothing easy about the study of mathematics---the student should always have pencil and paper ready. I wish I had had a whiteboard to work on, and maybe manipulatives---if I knew how to work with them. If your local CC has a HS program, you might check it out. Sorry, but that's all I can offer; I'm mostly interested in what your experience has been. How are you doing? About half-way through the summer of 2001, an 18- or 19-year-old boy wrote in answer to the question What is the reciprocal of 2/3?: "2/3=3/2." I calmly told him never to make such a (false) statement even in the privacy of his room at home with no other human being within a 5-mile radius; that the answer is simply "3/2;" and that some mathematics can be done by inspection. He noticeably held his head a little higher as he left the room, and was a more assiduous student for the remaining time. I hope, if I ever get to the classroom, I can say the right thing, and only what is necessary.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/