From: Joany Lowry <joan_dog1@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003121017:47:16
Subject: Teaching subtraction with regrouping

I am doing my teaching internship in a second grade classroom.  I have
recently introduced subtracting with grouping.  The students are
having a really hard time with it.  I have tried using ones cubes with
tens rods, telling the kids that if you flip the problem over and add
it adds up like 35-27=8, the 8+7=15 ect... The students understand
when I have them walk me through the lesson, but when I let them
loose, they seem to forget everything we have been talking about.
Thanks for your help!!!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®