From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003121209:23:06
Subject: Re: Teaching subtraction with regrouping

Generally, one teaches place value first before trying to regroup.
The student at least must know that the 100s, 10s and ones place.
Most workbooks for second graders have exercises of that sort.

Then, the students must understanding the regrouping process for
additon before moving on to subtraction.

I am not recommeding any particular book, but an inexpensive workbook
I bought a Walmart for 1st and 2nd graders had an abundant of place
value problems.  If you school doesn't have these, then you might try
something like that.

In the schools I have taught in, the storage room usually has a wealth
of books that you can use for a guide.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®